Have you tried a virtual doctor visit yet? You can see a doctor in minutes from anywhere you can access a phone, mobile device, or computer*. With 24/7 access Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Care Network members now have more options for affordable health care.
Now you and your dependents can get fast, convenient, affordable online health care anywhere in the U.S. The Blues are working with American Well®, a leading online health care provider, to give you quality U.S. board-certified doctor visits through their Amwell™ technology.
With Amwell™, you can:
- Choose your doctor
- View doctors’ care philosophy; read reviews; view credentials, language and gender.
- Share your prescription history
- Get a report about your visit and share with your primary doctor, a family member, or caregiver.
Your information is private secure and meets all federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements. Want to know more about your rights under HIPAA? Read more from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
You should consider using a virtual visit if your primary doctor is unavailable, if you are on vacation, or if you are unable to leave home/work.
Be ready to see a doctor before you need one.
Sign up Now:
-Add your Blues health care plan information
-Use service key BCBSM
NOTE: You may be charged incorrectly if you don’t enter your plan information and service key.
How it Works
After you’ve created your account profile, log in, confirm your location, and choose a doctor who’s right for you. The average wait time for a doctor is only 3 minutes.
The doctor will consult with you as long as you need, there is no time limit. In general, most health care visits will last about 10 minutes. At the end of your visit, send your online health care report to your regular doctor. If a prescription is appropriate, the doctor can send it to your pharmacy*.
When Not to Use an Amwell™ doctor
- As a replacement for a regular physician. Doctors on Amwell™ are there to support your care between office visits with your primary care doctor.
- International care (Amwell™ is not currently available internationally)
- Prescription of controlled substances, muscle relaxants, medications for erectile dysfunction, and other state controlled medications
- Requests for FMLA forms, disability forms, or handicap/DMV documents. (These require in-person evaluation)
- In cases of any of the following serious or life-threatening conditions such as:
- Chest pain
- Neurological symptoms, suggesting a stroke
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Sudden bleeding
- Choking or Gagging
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea
- Head injury
- Possible broken bones
- Patients who want to hurt themselves (suicidal thoughts)
- Patients who want to hurt others (homicidal thoughts)
- Schizophrenia or hallucinations
Questions about 24/7 online health care from the Blues, powered by Amwell? Contact your dedicated account manager or call us today!
*U.S. only. Some states have visit and prescribing restrictions. Online health care doesn’t replace primary doctor relationships. Visits are $49 or less, based on your plan coverage, copayment, coinsurance, and deductible.
BCBSM and BCN 24/7 Online Health Care Employer Toolkit June 2016