If you are a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network member, your flu shot is covered!
According to the CDC, flu season in the U.S. peaks between December and February, but can begin as early as October. It’s time to prepare for your annual flu shot. The CDC recommends that people get vaccinated against the flu as soon as the vaccine becomes available, typically in October.
When you are ready to get your flu shot you have the following options:
- Schedule a flu shot vaccination appointment with your family doctor
- Or, visit a pharmacy to have your flu shot administered by a pharmacist
- Some pharmacies are able to bill BCBSM/BCN directly and there is no upfront out-of-pocket cost
- Please call your local pharmacy to see if they are contracted to bill BCBSM/BCN directly for your flu shot. You can see if your pharmacy is on the list of BCBSM/BCN participating pharmacies here: http://bit.ly/1uGwlcJ
- If you visit a pharmacy that is not able to directly bill BCBSM/BCN up front, you will be asked to pay for your flu shot at the time of service. However, you can submit your receipt with a claim form for reimbursement in full. Claim forms can be found here: http://bit.ly/1pdmnMn
Your dedicated Austin Account Manager is happy to assist you in submitting this form to the Blues. If you need assistance, please give us a call at (248) 594-5550.
The best way to prevent the flu is to get vaccinated each year, but there are other good health habits that can help prevent it:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick, don’t help spread the germs
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing/sneezing
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Practice other good health habits
- Get plenty of sleep
- Manage your stress
- Stay active
- Hydrate and eat nutritious foods